Thinking through Mathematics: Engaging students with inquiry- based learning
Book 3 (ages 10–13)
Sue Allmond, Jill Wells and Katie Makar
$39.95 | 978 1 74200 484 6 | 104 pp
Younger students' curiosity will carry them through their inquiries; at this older age, the authenticity of the investigation becomes crucial. Students work to define, plan, evaluate and communicate their responses to more complicated (yet still deliberately ambiguous), authentic inquiry questions.
- Thinking through Mathematics Book 3 (ages 10–13)
Sample pages (pdf 2mb)
Resource sheets from Book 3
INTRODUCTION: TEACHER RESOURCES
UNIT 1: DISCO DOZEN
Which songs would your year level most like thear played at their school disco?
- Resource sheet 1: Planning Model
- PDF document (0.3mb)
- Editable Excel document (0.2mb)
- Resource sheet 2: Planning Model: School Disco
UNIT 2: FIGHT FOR FLIGHT
What is the best design for a loopy aeroplane?
- Resource sheet 1: Building Loopy Aeroplanes (pdf 0.1mb)
- Resource sheet 2: Fair Testing – Possible Intervening Variables
- Resource sheet 3: The Technology Cycle
- Resource sheet 4: The Principles of Flight
- Resource sheet 5: The Principles of Flight - Assessment
- Principles of Flight
- Newton's Laws - teachertech.rice.edu/Participants/louviere/Newton
- Wind and Wings lesson plan - www.educationworld.com/a_lesson/01-1/lp236_02.shtml
UNIT 3: FOOD FOR THOUGHT
Dprimary school children eat nutritious breakfast cereals?
- Resource sheet 1: Sample Data Collection Sheet
- Resource sheet 2: Cereal Investigation Report
- Choice website - www.choice.com.au
UNIT 4: GROWING UP
- Australian Bureau of Statistics CensusAtSchool website - www.abs.gov.au/education
UNIT 5: IS SALT AT FAULT?
To what extent does salinity affect native plants?
- Australian Native Plants Society - asgap.org.au/sgap1a.html
- ABC Australia's Silent Flood - www.abc.net.au/learn/silentflood/stats.htm
- Department of Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts - www.environment.gov.au/land/pressures/salinity
- CSIRO Salinity in Australia Fact Sheet - www.csiro.au/resources/Salinity-Factsheet
- Cooperative Research Centres website - www.crcsalinity.com
- Department of Primary Industries (Victoria) website on salinity - dpi.vic.gov.au/dpi/vro/vrosite.nsf/pages/water-gw-salinity-program
- Australian Natural Resources Atlas (ANRA) website on salinity - overview plus click for an overview for your area - www.anra.gov.au/topics/salinity/overview
UNIT 7: PRACTICAL PLANTINGS
What is the best class vegetable garden that we could plant?
- Resource sheet 1: Planting Timetable
- Resource sheet 2: Focused Observation Checklist
UNIT 8: RECORD BREAKINGS
Are athletes getting better over time?
- Resource sheet 1: Which Data Representation Use?
- Resource sheet 2: Not All Graphs are Created Equal
- Resource sheet 3: Understanding Graphs
- Commonwealth Games website - www.commonwealthgames.org.au
UNIT 9: TAKE OR MAKE?
How expensive is takeaway food?
- Resource sheet 1: Group Task Contract
- Resource sheet 2: Costing Portion Sizes
- Resource sheet 3: Comparison Table
UNIT 10: WALKING SCHOOL BUS
What is the best walking school bus route in our school catchment area?
- Resource sheet 1 - Walking School Bus Task (pdf 0.3mb)
- Resource sheet 2 - Map Interpretation (pdf 0.1mb)
- Google Maps - maps.google.com.au