Thinking through Mathematics: Engaging students with inquiry- based learning
Book 1 (ages 6–8)
Sue Allmond, Jill Wells and Katie Makar
$39.95 | 978 1 74200 483 9 | 104 pp
Book 1 introduces students to mathematical inquiry, with investigations that focus on the physical world around them and build understanding of the ways to think like a mathematician.
- Thinking through Mathematics Book 1 (ages 6-8)
Sample pages (pdf 2mb)
Resource sheets from Book 1
INTRODUCTION: TEACHER RESOURCES
- Maths Investigator Hat Poster (pdf 0.1mb)
UNIT 1: FAVOURITE BOOKS
Does our class have a favourite type of book?
- Resource sheet 1: Maths Investigator Chart (pdf 0.2mb)
- Resource sheet 2: Maths Investigator Chart (simplified) (pdf 0.2mb)
UNIT 2: FEET, FABULOUS FEET
How big are Year One feet?
- Resource sheet 1: Representations for Discussion (pdf 0.1mb)
UNIT 3: GETTING BETTER ALL THE TIME
How dow know if we're getting better at hopping on one foot?
- CensusAtSchool NZ - Data Detective Poster
UNIT 4: GIANT JUMPS
Dtaller people jump further than shorter people?
UNIT 5: LINKED UP
What is the longest paper chain that can be made from A4 paper?
- Resource sheet 1: Reflection Links (pdf 0.3mb)
UNIT 6: LUNCH BOX LAYOUT
What is the best design for my lunch box?
- Resource sheet 1: The Problem-Solving Process (pdf 0.2mb)
- Resource sheet 2: Recording Sheet
UNIT 7: PLAYING WITH DOUGH
What is the best recipe for playdough?
- Resource sheet 1: Playdough Recipes (pdf 0.2mb)
- Resource sheet 2: Recipe Genre (pdf 0.3mb)
- Resource sheet 3: Recording (pdf 0.3mb)
- Resource sheet 4: Cost Sheet - Example (pdf 0.2mb)
- Resource sheet 5: Cost Sheet
UNIT 8: RAMPING IT UP
What is the best ramp design for a toy car?
UNIT 10: WHICH WAY FROM HERE?
Can others follow my route?
- Resource sheet 1: Location Match-Up (pdf 0.2mb)
- Resource sheet 2: Additional Location Word Cards (pdf 0.2mb)
- Resource sheet 3: Reflection Cube (pdf 0.1mb)