Maths in the Making 1 (Ages 6-8)
Creative activities using everyday resources
Author: Ron Smith and Suzanne Peterson
Format: 96 pp book
ISBN: 9781863666923 SCIS No: 1267749
Publisher: Education Services Australia 2006
Audience: Teacher resource
Audience year level
This series offers primary teachers new and creative ways to engage all students with mathematics in a purposeful, active and enjoyable way. The key features of this approach include:
- a problem-solving focus
- creative ways to explore and demonstrate mathematical understandings
- the use of everyday objects
- promotion of mathematical thinking, questioning and discussion
- sequenced lessons that enable students to build and consolidate understandings.
There are five activities within each lesson that explore a variety of mathematical concepts. Each activity includes:
- a brief description of the purpose of the task
- a list of required materials
- step-by-step instructions for teaching (including whole class, independent and reflection tasks)
- a concluding statement of the skills and knowledge covered in the lesson
- tips for preparing the next lesson
- student work samples
- assessment pointers and teaching tips.
In addition to the detailed teaching notes, the books also contain activity sheets and proformas to help structure student thinking, and a range of ready-to-go ideas to help teachers develop further engaging mathematical lessons. Stimulating and hands-on, students and teachers alike will enjoy these creative lessons.
Also available in middle and upper primary levels.