Practice with Purpose
Literacy workstations for grades 3-6
Author: Debbie Diller
Format: 224 pp book
Publisher: Stenhouse 2005
Audience: Professional reference
Audience year level
Practice with Purpose shows teachers of grades 3 to 6 how to structure their classrooms so that all students can be successful doing meaningful independent work using literacy work stations.
Practice with Purpose offers guidance on establishing routines for independent reading and response writing, as well as step-by-step instructions on how to set up and manage a variety of hands-on literacy work stations appropriate for intermediate students.
Each chapter includes:
- how to introduce the station
- innovative ways to use materials
- what to model to guarantee independence
- how to troubleshoot
- assessment and accountability ideas
- how the station supports student achievement on state tests
- reflection questions for professional development.
The extensive appendix includes time-saving tools such as management board icons, graphic organisers, task cards, and recommended websites and children's literature.